Pages

Justine's books

Last Sacrifice
My Soul to Take
My Soul to Save
My Soul to Keep
My Soul to Steal
Wings
Spells
Illusions
Sing Me to Sleep
Girl Stays in the Picture
The Eternal Ones
Beastly
Ash
Huntress
Secret Society
The Trust
Ascendant
Rampant
0.4
Fairy Tale


Justine's favorite books »

Thursday 23 January 2014

Trilogy Review #207-209: The Divergent Series- Veronica Roth


Title: Divergent
Pages: 487
Rating: 4/5 Stars
Summary: In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue--Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is--she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.

During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles to determine who her friends really are--and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes infuriating boy fits into the life she's chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers a growing conflict that threatens to unravel her seemingly perfect society, she also learns that her secret might help her save those she loves . . . or it might destroy her.

Debut author Veronica Roth bursts onto the literary scene with the first book in the Divergent series--dystopian thrillers filled with electrifying decisions, heartbreaking betrayals, stunning consequences, and unexpected romance.
Review: There has been so much hype about this book from everyone and I wanted to read it before the movie comes out, so I finally picked it up. I wasn't disappointed with the story, it just didn't blow my mind like I was expecting. I'm not sure what about the story didn't grab me, but I found myself to be easily distracted by other things and I had no issue putting the book down. If I wouldn't have been able to put it down it would have gotten that five star rating. I did like the world that Veronica Roth created, and all of its twists and secrets. 
I liked Tria, I feel like even though she was supposed to conform to her faction, she kept her rebelliousness and curiosity. She didn't let her faction define her. I loved hearing everything that was going on inside her head and whether she did what she was thinking.
This was a great dystopian read and I would recommend it to all dystopian lovers.


Title: Insurgent
Pages: 525
Rating: 4/5 Stars
Summary: Fighting for survival in a shattered world… the truth is her only hope.

The thrillingly dark sequel to No. 1 New York Times bestseller, DIVERGENT.

I have done bad things. I can’t take them back, and they are part of who I am.

Tris has survived a brutal attack on her former home and family. But she has paid a terrible price. Wracked by grief and guilt, she becomes ever more reckless as she struggles to accept her new future.

Yet if Tris wants to uncover the truth about her world, she must be stronger than ever… because more shocking choices and sacrifices lie ahead.
Review: This book started off right where book one ended. I have to be brutally honest, I didn't like Tris in this instalment. I feel like all the awesome, brave and independence that was built up in book one was lost in this book. Tris was a whiny baby. I kind of wanted to punch her in the throat. And the story just kept on trucking, so yeah, not really much more to say.
I would recommend this book to dystopian lovers, only because book one was good so you have to continue the series and skipping a book wouldn't make sense.




Title: Allegiant
Pages: 526
Rating: 4/5 Stars
Summary: The faction-based society that Tris Prior once believed in is shattered—fractured by violence and power struggles and scarred by loss and betrayal. So when offered a chance to explore the world past the limits she’s known, Tris is ready. Perhaps beyond the fence, she and Tobias will find a simple new life together, free from complicated lies, tangled loyalties, and painful memories. 

But Tris’s new reality is even more alarming than the one she left behind. Old discoveries are quickly rendered meaningless. Explosive new truths change the hearts of those she loves. And once again, Tris must battle to comprehend the complexities of human nature—and of herself—while facing impossible choices about courage, allegiance, sacrifice, and love.

Told from a riveting dual perspective, Allegiant, by #1 New York Times best-selling author Veronica Roth, brings the Divergent series to a powerful conclusion while revealing the secrets of the dystopian world that has captivated millions of readers in Divergent and Insurgent.
Review: Again, this book starts where the last ended. And again it was a "meh" read. Nothing really blew my mind, it was just a story. But unlike so many other people the ending didn't bother me. I feel like the only reason poet plié rated this instalment low was because of the ending. But realistically, how else could this book have ended? Not everything is sunshine and rainbows. I didn't connect with these characters and I didn't really care that we lost some of them. I almost felt like it was about time haha.
I would still recommend people to read this book because you can't only read the first two. Despite me not really liking this series, I am curious to see what Veronica Roth will write next.


About this author


Veronica Roth is from a Chicago suburb. She studied creative writing at Northwestern University, and wrote DIVERGENT (Katherine Tegen Books, May 2011) and INSURGENT (May 2012). The third and final book in The Divergent Trilogy, ALLEGIANT, will come out on October 22, 2013. In the meantime she will spend endless hours browsing Wikipedia in her pajamas as she eats corn flakes. (Or some other kind of bland breakfast cereal.)

No comments:

Post a Comment